Sunday, March 27, 2011

Inspiring and Refreshing Weekend

I had an GREAT weekend. I also had an extended weekend because I took the day off on Friday. My sister invited me to go with her to a Joyce Meyer conference in Baton Rouge. So, my sister and I were part of a group of family and friends (7 women total plus my co-worker and her sister met up with us on Saturday) that loaded up and headed to Baton Rouge on Friday. I LEARNED so much and I can't wait to share the things I realized about myself and about my life. Let me begin by saying that I have never heard of Joyce Meyer before. It was not until she came out on stage that I realized that I had seen her on TV before, but I can honestly say I had never really watched her. I just noticed her while flipping through the channels.

We went to the conference on Friday night and Saturday morning. We had to get there early, and we were able to get great seats. Most importantly, I really feel that several things Joyce Meyer discussed were speaking directly to me and my life.

One thing she said was that you must do what's right for the rest of your life because it's the right thing to do. Even if your heart isn't in it. Even if you don't feel like it. Do it especially if you don't feel like it...because it's the right thing to do. There are so many things I don't feel like doing. I have mentioned before that I often times dread family functions. I have 2 bridal showers quickly approaching. I really don't feel like going. But I know that going is the right thing to do. I think I attempted to smooth over some broken edges in my life last week, but I will save that information for another post:) Stay tuned for that. Anyway, I realized that doing somethings aren't going to be fun for me, but the right thing to do is to celebrate the family that I have. They really are well meaning, even if I don't feel that way sometimes. I am really blessed to have family in my life.

Joyce Meyer said "Complain & Remain" or "Praise and Be Raised". In retrospect I do complain way too much. I need to praise God and trust in Him to see the changes in myself. Complaining and self-pity are not going to get me anywhere. Complaining is not going to take away the miscarriage or my desire to have children. Complaining is not going to give me children. Complaining just keeps me discouraged and unhappy. As long as I praise God, He will give me the love and peace that I need to stay faithful and hopeful.

Joyce Meyer also said that God likes variety because we are all so different. We all need to do a better job of NOT judging others. I think I judge others without even realizing it. I have to remember that God wants me to respect ALL people. Joyce Meyer said that we should remember that we are as good as everybody else, but not better than everybody else. So many times I feel that I am more deserving of a baby than some of the others I have seen. I have to remember that I am not better than anyone.

She also talked about bargaining with God. For example, if God just does one thing for me then I will never do something else again. She said what we need to tell God is that I will definitely do it again if You don't help me! I have to remember to ask for help when I need it! There are too many times I believe I can do it on my own.

Another thing she said that really tugged at my heart is that we become so selfish. I pray for my needs and desires. I worry about how people make me feel. I need to open my heart and mind to God. I need to spend more time praying for the needs of others, and less time focusing on myself.


And finally, the one thing that I feel was most important for me to hear...Some people spend so much time grieving that they take on a grieving spirit. I feel that this describes me. We are allowed time to grieve. Back in days long ago, it was 30 days and then people had to get back to the land of the living. I have been grieving for 26 long heartbreaking months. I have been grieving for so long that I have not been living. I have lost touch with many people that I was once close to. Mostly because I haven't been able to live. I have been consumed with grief. I need to take baby steps back into the land of the living.

So--there is a summary of what I have learned this weekend. I have an uplifted heart and I feel hope for the future. I BELIEVE my husband and I will have children. I believe this with all my heart. I feel positive and revived. I feel inspired and closer to Christ. I know that I am not going to feel this way everyday. I know that it is going to take more time for me to get to an even better place. I know I will still have days when I am sad and disappointed. I am going to try very hard to handle it differently.

Since I really didn't even know who Joyce Meyer was until this weekend, I have never read any of her books. I am thinking of reading Battlefield of the Mind. Anyone read it before? Any other suggestions for good reading? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I hope you all had great weekends as well!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this post. It's exactly what i needed to read right now. I have heard Joyce Meyer speak before and I love it. I've also read that book. It actually helped me with my grieving. eventhough it focuses on other things. It was still a help to me in that area and just in life in gerneral. I would reccomend that book. I haven't read any of her other books , but i do plan too. Sending you Hugs and Hoping for many better days ahead for you soon. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting...I have never read any of Joyce's books, but I have seen them around.

    It is easy to complain, because, well, there is a lot in life that is "negative". Try to put a positive spin on the negative...turn it into praise. Difficult, but rewarding.

    SO glad you feel uplifted. I love reading about you being happy. :) You DO deserve happiness. You do.

    ReplyDelete